There's Something about Mary

1/15/2007
My drug of choice
An antidepressant, in the most common usage, is a medication taken to alleviate clinical depression or dysthymia ('milder' depression).


Clinical depression (also called major depressive disorder, or sometimes unipolar when compared with bipolar disorder) is a state of intense sadness, melancholia or despair that has advanced to the point of being disruptive to an individual's social functioning and/or activities of daily living.



I have been diagnosed with Clinical Depression. It is a constant struggle in my life to deal with it, to not hide in my bed, or hide on the computer, or to hide in a book or watching TV. It is a constant struggle to not sleep my days away, it is a constant struggle to not yell and scream at my children for no reason at all, it is a constant struggle to keep my marriage alive and well. My life is a struggle, but I am winning with the help of my drugs.

Some say that no one needs antidepressants. That it is all in your mind, that you can "will" yourself better. I disagree. Nothing can "will" me to be better, never in my life can I remember feeling as good as I do when I am on my drugs. I wish that I had found antidepressants throughout high school, maybe my high school life wouldn't have been so miserable, and I wouldn't have had to do drugs to escape the world. Looking back, I see all the signs of depression, which some people thought were just ways for me to act out. I attempted to kill myself FIVE times. Doesn't that show anything? Of course, looking back I can see that I didn't really try to kill myself, I didn't cut deep enough ever, but it WAS a sign of my depression. True, my parents didn't ignore it. I got sent to a mental hospital, where I rebelled and acted like I got better, so that I could get out and I could go get high with my friends.

If I was smart, I would have taken the help that I was offered.

I should be in counseling now, but I just can't make myself do it. i try. Everyday I try to make myself make that phone call and just make that first appointment. But then these days I feel good. Because of my medication. So I say to myself that I don't need the help, knowing full well that I do.

Maybe I will call tomorrow

Labels: ,

posted by Mary @ 4:16 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At January 15, 2007 at 10:06 PM, Blogger Shawna said…

    ((((HUGS)))) Make that call and make that appointment. I did right before Thanksgiving--after having put it off all summer; it's one of the best things I have done, am doing!

    Just do it, Mary!

     
  • At January 16, 2007 at 9:36 AM, Blogger Brenda said…

    oh hon...I know what you are going through. I also completely agree with taking antidepressants! Like Shawna said, you should make that call. You can do it. You know you will feel that much better once you do. ((Hugs))

    BTW- I love the new look of your site!

     
  • At January 17, 2007 at 8:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    *huge hugs*

    Make the call.

     
  • At January 17, 2007 at 1:17 PM, Blogger tinamtl said…

    Make the call Mary, please. You can't be on anti depressants for life. That's dangerous. In Canada, they won't even give them to you if you do not agree to go to weekly councelling...and the prescription often is only for 6 months. The longer you are on, the more difficult it is to get off. Hugs

     
  • At January 17, 2007 at 1:51 PM, Blogger Magpie said…

    Call today - it helps.

    And good luck with the diapers!!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


The randomness of my life as a working mother of two, trying to concieve another. A wife, a mother on the journey to find herself
White Chocolate

Name:
Home:
About Me: 24 year old full time working mother of 2
See my complete profile
My List

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Dark Chocolate
Semi Sweet Chocolate
calories


web counter

delicious
Thursday Thirteen! []